Sunday, June 20, 2010

Potato Chips

Friday was a short day of classes and then we all went to the Piazza del Campo (the main plaza in Siena) to learn about the history of Siena. It was interesting for a while but after about an hour I started to get bored. History has never really been my thing and I was starving for lunch! We went inside a museum to learn more and it was beautiful, like everything else has been, but I still was ready to go spend my afternoon elsewhere.
























After the museum was a wine tasting with a few people from school. It was located at a restaurant in the city. It was very enjoyable. We first toured the old cellar and then went out on the patio for our tasting. The first wine we tried was a 2008 white Vernaccia from San Gimignano. I am usually a red girl but out of the three that we tried, this one was my favorite.





















Then we tried a red 2006 Piemonte Nebbiola d' Alba. It was a little to sweet for my preference, and also not as dry as I would have liked. For nibbles, they gave us potato chips- thats right like you would put on the side of a sandwich. Why, in Italy, did they give us POTATO CHIPS to try wine with???? I could not answer this question, and was simply not having it and therefore was forced to order my own cheese plate with bread. And, it was simply lovely alongside my vino!















Lastly, we tried a 2009 Rose from Pulia called Negroamaro. This was refreshing while sitting outside in the sun!! While tasting yummy wine, the man we were with helped educate us a little bit about wine. It was very interesting!













On Saturday, me and 3 friends got up and went to the beach!! This time we went to a place called Riva de Sole. We were put on the wrong bus from Siena and ended up at the city near Riva de Sole. At first, all of us were a little frustrated with the situation but once we made it to the beach, we were happy again! And it was a cinch to find our correct bus home once we got there- so that was good!! Last time I went to the beach I went to buy sunscreen and the cheapest one was 50, so I got it, and I did not get ANY color! This time I wanted a little bit so I decided I would just use it on my face-- and what you are thinking now is exactly right, I got sunburned. Of course I did, and I knew I would but last night I got home and I looked like a lobster!! Luckily, with just a little bit of lotion it is much better and almost gone today, so my plan worked! I got some color :) The beach was absolutely beautiful, the water was a gorgeous blue and there were some mountains in the distance. We found a good spot and stayed there for about 6 hours. Brianne and my friend Megan found some rocks to climb while I- like a chicken- watched our things.

























After a long day of traveling and beaching, we all just went home and got a good nights rest. Today we woke up and went to a Catholic church service at the HUGE church on the hill. It was gorgeous but unfortunately,we were not allowed to take any pictures. But the inside of the church was magnificent. The service was beautiful and tourist friendly. It had the whole service written in a packet for us to follow along and also the songs written so that we were able to sing along. It was really nice. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I did take communion just cause I wanted to-- I know you are supposed to do confession first and all that, but I really wanted to do it so I did! I mean, its the only time I am going to get to do communion in Italy so I had to!













After church, the plan was to go to a Chianti vineyard outside of the city but it was pouring rain. I called them to ask if it was raining there too and they said yes, so that was cancelled. I was really sad, but oh well. Instead we went to a bar to watch Italy play futbol! The bar was packed so that was a lot of fun! Too bad they let people tie in soccer, that is really unsatisfying!










After the game was over, I decided to go home to do some homework and by the time I got home it was pouring down rain. I had an umbrella, luckily, but my bottom half was drenched! I did not realize there would be this much rain- I am not equipped with the shoes necessary for rain! I may have to invest if this keeps up. And tomorrow starts another week of schooling. No plans for during the week quite yet but I will try and come up with some- there is talk about going to see a glass blower.. I guess we will both see :) Arrivederci for now!

P.S. I wanna give a shout out to the best Daddy in the world on Father's Day, sorry again you have to work!! Thanks for everything you do for me and helping get where I am today (both literally and figuratively). Love you so much, happy father's day Daddy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment